Fate, Chance, or both?
Blog Post #6
December 10, 2017
(http://www.shakespeare-online.com/plays/macbeth_1_3.html)
Do you believe events in your life have been guided by fate or chance? Why or why not? Based on the text, what do you think Shakespeare's attitude was towards fate? Does Macbeth have any choice in his actions or was everything predetermined?
Personally, I believe my life has been guided by fate and I have made choices within my life that has led me to where I am today. Growing up I always felt like I never belonged to a certain group or place. I was always trying new things but never seemed to fit in anywhere. It was not till I transferred from Durant Middle to West Millbrook middle school to where my 8th grade year I made all A's and received so many awards where I felt like I was finally doing something I loved. I realized I love to learn and go to school which has carried on throughout my high school years. In my family no one really cared for school and since I was never surrounded by school lovers I guess I just assumed I did not like school as well but it turns out I do and will be the first one in my household to attend a university. I believe that God had and still has a plan for me but it was up to me to take the opportunities and to make the choices that I did or will to get me to where I am today or to get me to where I will be in the future. I had to make that choice back in 7th grade of going to a new school and surrounding myself with people who had the same intentions of me.
In the tragedy Macbeth I believe Shakespeare did believe in fate because he uses the three witches and the ghost to show the supernatural and how they have an impact on Macbeth's life. At the beginning of the play the witches basically tell Macbeth what is going to happen to him. In Act 1 Scene 3 the witches say, "All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, Thane of Glamis! All hail, Macbeth! Hail to thee, Thane of Cawdor! All hail, Macbeth, that shalt be king hereafter!" (Act 1 Scene 3). Although the three witches tell Macbeth this they do not tell him how these things will occur, so it was up to Macbeth to make those things happen, he could've just let things happen but he made choices along the way that still got him to be king.
Macbeth's life was already predetermined but he made choices in his life which led to consequences.
In Act 2 Scene 2, Macbeth says, "I have done the deed. Didst thou not hear a noise?" (2.3.19) In this quote Macbeth tells his wife Lady Macbeth that he had killed King Duncan. Macbeth was not next in line to become king but King Duncan was going to crown him Thane of Cawdor but Macbeth went out of his way to murder King Duncan so he could become king and covered up the death pretty well for a period of time till eventually others found out and came after him. Macbeth not only killed King Duncan, he also killed his best friend Banqou and Macduffs family. If he would've never killed King Duncan he would not have gone through so much consequences towards the end of the play leading to his death. Therefore, I do believe Macbeth's life was predetermined but he decided to make the choices that he made which led to a horrible ending, maybe he should have not let the want of power get to his head and the influence of his wife also get into his head and he would have still been alive and not with so many enemies. He would not feel so much guilt like he did when he would see the ghost.

The transition from what you personally believe regarding fate and chance to the examples of Shakespeare and his belief in fate is very well executed. I love how you incorporated the factors of the supernatural to furthermore prove your point of how he does believe in fate and I agree with the point that you make. Great job! :)
ReplyDelete