Dr. Jekyll Vs Mr. Hyde

Image result for dr jekyll and mr hyde
<http://theapopkavoice.com/dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde/>

January 14, 2018 

Step 1) Jekyll vs Hyde


In chapter one when Mr. Utterson is first introduced about Mr. Hyde by Enfield. He describes his appearance, he says, "He is not easy to describe. There is something displeasing, something down right detestable. I never saw a man I so disliked, and yet I scarce know why. He must be deformed somewhere; he gives a strong feeling of deformity, although I couldn't specify the point. He's an extraordinary looking man, and yet I really can't name anything out of the way". This quote reveals that there is a lot of confusion of who this man is or if he is considered to be a "normal" human being because it is difficult for Enfield to describe what he looks like. The way Enfield describes him and the tone he uses reveals that he viewed Hyde almost like a monster. This infers that deformities were not something common in the Victorian society. Anyone who did not look like a "normal" human being was not accepted in the society, or got looked down upon. Another impact on the description of Enfield is a piece of the puzzle. The novella as a whole is very mysterious. The readers and the other characters in the book can only assume what Hyde looks like, and can only assume his "evilness".

In contrast, between the two Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde there is a big difference in appearance. Jekyll is seen as being handsome while Hyde is seen as being "deformed". In chapter three Dr. Jekyll is described by Utterson he says, "To this rule, Dr. Jekyll was no exception, and as he now sat on the opposite side of the fire a large, well made, smooth faced man of fifty, with something of a slyest cast perhaps, but every mark of capacity and kindness you could see by his looks that he cherished for Mr. Utterson a sincere and warm affection". As the conversation continues with Dr. Jekyll he says, "I do not care to hear anymore ... This is a matter I thought we had agreed to drop". As it says in the novella Dr. Jekyll became very pale and there was blackness around his eyes. This is not the usual of Dr. Jekyll, but the term "darkness" reveals that Dr. Jekyll is trying to hide it as hard as he can that there is a connection with Hyde. Hyde is his "darkness", the other side of him, his opposite, the person he is not allowed to be around with others in society because he is known to be such a formal doctor. This connects to duality which the author shows in the novella, the good vs evil, the Jekyll vs Hyde. 


Step 2) 

This poem is the contrast between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, it deals with their differences. It connects to the theme of duality that is revealed at the end of the novella. Dr. Jekyll is the total opposite of Mr. Hyde, this poem is a way I looked more deeply into the thought of if everyone in society plays the role of Dr. Jekyll, does everyone have the side that no one knows about? hmmmmmmmmm, you know what they say we all have a angel on one shoulder and a little devil on the other????  



















Comments

  1. This was a super interesting post! I loved your emphasis on the use of deformity to describe Mr. Hyde and agree that that is very telling about not only how Victorian people viewed those with deformities, but also that they viewed evilness as an innate deformity. I also enjoyed your poem and thought it was a very nice touch that you made the poem very rhythmic because it would be spoken aloud.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts